Saturday, December 16, 2006

Still here...

The other day, in Greenwich, I said, “We’re moving here!” then looked around to see just who said that. Couldn’t have been me. I don’t really mean it. I really don’t mean it at all. After all, I mostly remember hating this town. It might have been the unseasonably warm sunny day, but it was probably the coffee. Which I bought at a Starbucks... I know. I’m scaring me too.

The truth is, our short stay has been a pleasant one. We’ve been lucky. Ila’s going to preschool a couple of days a week while we make plans for our journey. A playground, a Y and a library are all within a five-minute walk. My mom has been wonderful with Ila. We’ve spent lots of time with family and friends and Peter and I even got out to a movie for a change.

We went up to Boston a week or two ago – I can’t keep track of days now that I don’t have a job! We had a great weekend with Penny, Dave, Emma and Finn just catching up, eating, drinking wine, watching the girls dress up in princess costumes. We did a little Boston sightseeing, but mostly took it easy. A perfect visit.

As for the trip, we’re still trying to solidify our plans. It’s typical of us that we’d wait until the last minute. But we’ve received some good advice and I think things will be firmed up by Christmas. We expect to fly south around the second week of January. Otherwise, we’re doing errands for the house, getting ready for Christmas and reading piles of guide-books.

I’ll try to keep things more up to date on this site. Being in this house, this town, on the east coast in general has stirred up so much that it’s been difficult to stop and make note of what’s going on in the here and now. And of course, not having our home is hard on all three of us. To keep functioning, I let myself think that we’re on a vacation and we’ll soon return home because the enormity of what we’ve done is sometimes too overwhelming. It’s good, but I’m tired. More soon.

IMG_0048.JPG

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

what are penny and jessica doing in the laundry basket?